Education & Teaching Question
Learning Goal: I’m working on a education & teaching multi-part question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
Decision-making for students with disabilities should include all relevant stakeholders. Collaboration with families concerning the practical application of assessment results to the classroom setting is important for building trust and rapport. School-based team members can contribute feedback on how to incorporate assessment results into the development of the IEP. Special education teachers should be up-to-date on assessment tools, resources, and practices to ensure they can fully advocate for and meet the needs of students that are being served.
Create a two-page digital newsletter for families that highlights how special education assessments and their results help with planning special education services within the classroom.
Within your newsletter, include the following:
- Identify and describe one current technology-based special education assessment tool that can be used to evaluate students’ needs.
- Outline three potential benefits and three drawbacks of using the assessment tool for special education assessment.
- Explain how this assessment tool minimizes bias in the classroom.
- Select one specific section of the IEP.
- Describe how formal assessment results determine the content of this section of the IEP.
- Provide two examples how the content of this IEP section would affect day-to-day collaborative planning for a core content area.
- Create a “Tips for Families” section in the newsletter. Share at least three tips on how families can support their child in addressing their assessment strengths and needs to succeed in school.
- Include an “Additional Resources” section describing three or more local, community, state, or federal resources, that families could contact for additional information on classroom assessments and learning. Offer a mix of resources that can be accessed online, in print, and/or in person (including by phone).
Use a minimum of three scholarly sources to support the content of your newsletter.
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.