Learning Goal: I’m working on a statistics question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
**PLEASE NOTE: Lab assignments that use the Laerd guides require you to walk through SPSS activities according to the process outlined in Laerd, then using what you learned through that process, you should write a response to the lab questions IN YOUR OWN WORDS. Do not simply copy and paste written descriptions from Laerd and use them as your own work.
The benefit of using Laerd Statistics as our primary resource for this course is that it has in-depth guides to conducting hypothesis tests in SPSS. Your task in this lab is to follow along with the Laerd Statistics resource for independent samples t-tests (https://statistics.laerd.com/premium/spss/istt/independent-t-test-in-spss.php (Links to an external site.)) and learn how to conduct this test in SPSS.
Make sure to read through each page of the guide thoroughly, downloading the data when it prompts you to, and replicating the steps in SPSS along with the guide. There are several steps in the hypothesis testing process. Take your time, read the descriptions in the guide, and make sure you feel comfortable with why you are conducting the steps in SPSS. Your comprehension is very important at this stage because I will ask you to apply these skills with considerably less direction in the homework assignment for this module.
Answer the following questions in the Word document you will submit for this lab:
- What are the null and alternative hypotheses in this example problem?
- Based on these hypotheses, briefly describe what the researcher is interested in finding out through this independent samples t-test.
- List and briefly describe the assumptions that need to be met to conduct an independent samples t-test.
- Provide SPSS output to demonstrate whether these assumptions are met in this example.
- Conduct an independent samples t-test and briefly describe what you found.
- What was your conclusion? Did you reject the null hypothesis (find a significant difference) or fail to reject the null hypothesis (fail to find a significant difference)?
**Note: Make sure to put your work into 1 single Word document that you will submit for this assignment. Include your answers to the questions AND the SPSS output in the Word document that you submit.
SPSS Lab Rubric
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeAccuracy||
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeOrganization||
|Total Points: 5|