ba 546/590 db and replies
Learning Goal: I’m working on a management discussion question and need an explanation and answer to help me learn.
BA 590 DB-
Q1 – Story telling.
Story telling is closely tied to the concept of sense making. It is up to leaders to help followers make sense of the organization, and we are all leaders. MBA students often look at me funny when I ask that they do this, but it is something that may come in handy down the road. This week I want you each to write a six word story. Your story MUST have to do with your topic. Post it and comment on those of at least four of your classmates. In your initial post also comment on why or why not this assignment is appropriate in an MBA class.
I came, I saw, I conquered. (attributed to Julius Caesar)
For sale, baby clothes, never worn. (attributed to Ernest Hemingway)
Q2 -Comment on the comments below 100 words for your initial post and respond in at least 50 words to at least three other posts.
- “The data used to derive most leadership theories and recommendations was collected by male researchers from male leaders, and it was analyzed and interpreted by mostly male scientists.”
- “And even in terms of effectiveness, men and women are pretty similar. At least the most recent meta-analysis on the topic says, there’s not a difference in effectiveness. And if there is a small difference in recent years, it actually favors women – that women are somewhat more effective than men.”
- “Women’s motivation for leadership doesn’t tend to be one that’s about having power over other people.”
And finally, two articles are available in Week 3 content for those who want to read more on this topic.
BA 546 DB-
Please select ONE of the three questions below to answer:
1. “Person-focused pay plans are least preferable compared with individual incentive pay programs”. Indicate whether you agree or disagree with this statement. Detail your arguments to support your position. (read on: http://www.aafp.org/fpm/2000/0200/p30.html)
2. Name at least three jobs that have been influenced by such technological advances as robotics, word processing software, fax machines, and electronic mail. Describe the jobs prior to the technological advances and explain how these jobs have changed or will change because of the technological advances. For each job, list the new skills that you feel are relevant for person-focused pay programs.
3. As discussed in the chapter, person-focused pay programs are not suitable for all kinds of jobs. Based on your understanding of person-focused pay concepts, identify at least three jobs for which this basis for pay is inappropriate. Be sure to provide your rationale, given the information in the chapter.
Guidelines: In your answers please draw from your own professional experience and provide examples from your own life, either as a leader, helper, employee, or observer. Review the reading, draw from your own ideas, examples or experience– and conduct some additional research as needed.
At the Master’s level we look for responses that include citations of information from the textbook or other journal articles to support your position. Consider the questions carefully; respond the question clearly, and provide additional information to support opinions. While you don’t have to cite every answer with the textbook or other reference, most of the time you will for full credit.
You are expected to 1 main thread and 1 reply post. (Each post is worth 25 points).
For a quality post, discussion posts should be at least 250 words per question…for higher point value questions, more work and analysis should be provided! Student responses should provide a good platform for sharing ideas and helping each other expand on the topics.